Thursday, March 5, 2009

I spend my money on baby shower gifts

Due to my age (*cough cough*) I have found myself being invited to quite a few baby showers. I am happy happy for all of my friends and family who are "with child" however, baby showers are quite a quandary to me. I guess that this is a major topic in my mind because I have two baby showers within the next week to attend.

First of all let me explain that within the first 4 months of Bryan and I being married I started to received invitations to several baby showers for my sister in law. As many of you have experienced being a newly wed the last place you want to be is at a baby shower. It almost feels like just being beside someone who is p......i mean "with child"(i prefer to use this terminology because the p word sounds funny coming out of my mouth) will rub off on you. So, at my sister in law's baby showers I had the wonderful job of writing down the gifts. YAY! Well this is all wonderful and everything until she starts getting butt paste, burp clothes and layettes.....what the hell is a layette????? How do you even spell that? Why is someone giving my sister in law a dress for her son to be??? Where is the opening in the dress for his feet?

Needless to say I had a lot to learn and had to learn it FAST!!!! But my nephew is now 3 and I feel confident that even if he was in a dress with no opening at the bottom he is all boy! B and I actually have a new niece or nephew on the way and I can assure you that we will love him/her even if she/he does need butt paste everyday.
Moving on.....
I attended a friend's baby shower a while ago and it took baby showers to a whole new level. I must however admit that when I went I was a little under the weather (Bryan and I stayed out too late the night before...YAY no more Friday nights playing monopoly!!!). Once I arrived at the shower I realized that we got to play games!?!?!?!?! I can honestly say I do not care to taste baby food or anything else that you think it funny to put in a diaper. I also feel very uncomfortable trying to guess how big a woman with child's belly is. But I will say that I was the only one in attendance that was childless. Does having a child make these games fun???? Again I digress.....

We start to open gifts and guess what I'm in charge of writing down the gifts! WHAT?!?!?!?! I don't even know anyone here AND I don't feel good!!!! As we are sitting around the ladies start talking about breastfeeding. I wanted so badly to put my fingers in my ears and start singing LALALALALA....I can't hear you and go to my happy place! However, once she starts opening gifts everyone quiets down and I think I'm home free. Well, wouldn't you know that her mother in law's gift was her husband's silver baby spoon. Then my friend (who i love near and dear) started crying but at first I thought she was laughing. I immiedately start laughing as well because her laugh makes me laugh. WRONG! She is crying and I mean full blown waterworks. Then I look around and everyone else is crying too boo hooinhg even (the ugly cry). So everyone around me is crying and I'm laughing so hard I almost wet my pants. I think (actually yell) to myself.."get it together, Emily". People start passing around tissues (still crying) and I think oh no! Should I start crying too?! I try to conjure up some tears but then I think of how ridiculous I sound in my head and start laughing again (once I get the giggles it is hard to stop). Thankfully I somehow gather enough strength put on a straight face and get back to my job, writing the gifts down and believe it or not I enjoyed myself the rest of the time.

All this being said, I'm excited about these upcoming showers and I am prepared to participate in any game that is brought forward (even if it is smelling stuff in a diaper, drinking stuff out of a bottle, ect.). Congrats my friends for being "with child" and I pray that each of you will have a wonderful healthy child that will call me Aunt Emma! LOVE YOU!

TTFN!

1 comment: