Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Lent and the Library

It has been a long time coming, probably a couple of months now but I'm doing it!!!!!! I'm going to pay my library fine today. The whole $4.20. UGH! Who would've thought that just because you were a little late (okay maybe a month late) on returning a book that they would fine you. Not only do I have a fine but then also have blocked me from checking out any more books until I pay the fine. I do realize that this categorizes me into a whole new realm of dorkiness because I go to the library on a regular basis (or should I say USED to go on a regular basis). Yes, I am a bit bitter but you would be to if it happened to you. If you would like to hear about my library debacle read on....

About a month ago......okay maybe three months ago, I started reading a book. Long story short I did not like the book and never finished it. It sat on my desk at work (probably another reason why I did not read it) and I forgot about it. One day I received a kind note in the mail from the library asking for their book back. Bryan being the ever so loving husband would kindly remind me that I needed to return the book. I would reply that I would return it but that no one is missing out by not reading the book. I remember thinking that I was actually doing them a favor as to not waste their time on this book.

So, a month goes by and I realize that I want to read books again. I take the library book back and try again on another book. This time I picked a winner. Read the book in a couple of days and went right back to the library to pick out another one. I quickly picked out a new book and headed to checkout. As I was checking out they reminded me of my late fee of $4.20..WHAT????? I politely asked the woman if I could pay the fine next time since my purse was in the car. Well good 'ole Wilhemina at the library said NO!!!!!!!! And that there was a block on my account and I could not check out any books until the fine was paid. Plus to make matters even worse there was a line behind me so half of the town of Camden now knows that I have a fine and a block on my library account(news travels fast in this town). I quickly left the library heavy hearted and trying not to let anyone see the embarrassment on my face.

So needless to say I went on strike from the library. I made no signs or protests but whenever I would drive by I would think to myself $4.20???? I filled my time with reading books that my friends would let me borrow and so on. It was fast lived!

Well it is now the season of Lent. During this time I have been doing some reflecting and have decided it is time to make amends with the library. I will at 5pm this day pay my library fines and hope to check out a book. I hope that my money will go towards empowering children and adult to read and to return their books timely. For all those adults out there: Harry Potter can change your life! (shout out to Emmylou).

Peace and good readings,
~E

1 comment:

  1. God, almighty, I love a shout out!!! :) And Harry Potter...

    ReplyDelete